Dallas courthouse shooter graduated from Leander ISD's Vandegrift High School


DALLAS – A gunman killed by police in a shooting at the Earle Cabell Federal Courthouse in Dallas Monday morning was a graduate of Vandegrift High School. 

Leander ISD spokesperson Corey Ryan confirmed that 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde, who was shot and killed by police after opening fire on the courthouse early Monday, graduated from the Leander ISD high school in 2015. 

Dallas Morning News photographer Tom Fox witnessed the shooting, as police said Clyde – clad in a mask and combat gear, carrying an assault rifle and multiple magazines of ammunition – fired on the courthouse. Officers shot Clyde, who was pronounced dead at the scene and later taken to Baylor University Medical Center.

Fox saw Clyde open fire outside the building and took photos of the gunman. The gunman fired from the parking lot across the street toward Fox and others.

The window panes in the revolving door and two side doors at the Commerce Street entrance were broken afterward. It was unclear Monday if the door was shot by the shooter or law enforcement.

Fox, who was questioned by the FBI, said he was outside the building when a man in a mask parked on the corner of Jackson and Griffin streets. The masked man ran and then stopped in the street to pick something off the ground.

The man then began shooting at the courthouse and cracked the glass of the door, Fox said. Inside the building security pushed everyone down to the ground.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Clyde, who had relatives living in the Dallas area, moved to Austin and after attending middle school and then high school at Dallas ISD schools. He transferred to Vandegrift from Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas. 

After graduating in 2015, where Leander ISD records indicate he was a member of the JROTC program, Clyde enlisted in the U.S. Army. 

Details of his service history were not immediately available Monday, but an Army spokesperson confirmed to the Dallas Morning News that Clyde was a private first class and served as an infantryman from August 2015 to February 2017. 

"Military has always been big in my family, so has education," Clyde is reported to have said in a video posted to Facebook. "When I got out, I really didn't have any other options, so I figure go to school." 

FBI Special Agent in Charge Matthew DeSarno said Clyde was discharged from the Army in 2017, but he did not provide details about the circumstances of Clyde's discharge. 

The newspaper reported that Clyde's Facebook account was deactivated at some point on Monday, but noted that several posts on his account showed Clyde holding weapons.  On Saturday, he posted a picture of a variety of ammunition magazines.

"2 40 rounders and 8 30 rounders total," Clyde posted on Saturday.

On Sunday, as thunderstorms blew through the Dallas area, Clyde is said to have posted a video showing him holding up what appears to be a rifle wrapped with duct tape. 

"I don't know how much longer I have, but the [expletive] storm is coming. However, I'm not without defense," Clyde said in the video. "[Expletive] ready. Let's do it."

An initial search of criminal records did not turn up any convictions against Clyde, and DeSarno said he was not on any federal watchlist or otherwise "of investigative interest" at the time of the shooting. 

The shooting occurred just a block from site of the July 7, 2016 ambush where five police officers – four Dallas police officer and a Dallas Area Rapid Transit officer – were killed by a gunman. Nearby El Centro College was placed on lockdown. During the ambush, that shooter entered the school and fired at the fifth officer who was killed from a window.

Dallas police detonated a suspicious device around 10:40 a.m. in the vehicle of the man who shot at the courthouse. The blast was strong enough to shake several sapling trees blocks away. Police were searching downtown for other possible devices. Many downtown buildings are on lockdown or evacuated. Many streets are closed as police search for suspicious devices.

Ed Modla was working from home at SoCo Urban Lofts this morning when he heard at least 10 loud shots outside. He looked outside and saw the gunman running across Griffin Street.

"As soon as I saw the shooter I got the hell away from the window," he said.

He took another peek from his third-floor window a few moments later and said he saw officers "zeroing in" on the suspect across the street.

Dallas police evacuated the apartment building around 10 a.m., going door-to-door to make sure everyone got out.

Video tweeted by a KDFW-TV (Channel 4) assignment editor shows a man in a black mask and a gun run from the sidewalk next to the courthouse and across the street to a parking lot.

Judicial intern Thompson Du was waiting outside Monday morning after officials kept him from going inside. Du said his friends who were already nearby when the shooting occurred told him they heard shots for 45 seconds.

Don Miles said he heard 10-15 shots as he walked up to the Commerce Street entrance for his 9 a.m. appointment.

"I just ran," Miles said.

Herman Turner, 50, took the day off work to run errands at the courthouse. He said he was on his way to get a cashier's check when he saw the gunman run from the courthouse door near Main and Griffin streets, plant himself in the middle of the road and begin firing an assault rifle back at the building.

— Dallas Morning News staff writers Dana Branham, Cassandra Jaramillo, Cary Aspinwall, Sarah Sarder, Dave Boucher and Corbett Smith contributed reporting, along with Hill Country News reporter Josh Moniz.