Stony Point downs Round Rock in high-scoring shootout


Stony Point improved to an impressive 4-1 overall record with a come-from-behind, 52-48 win at Dragon Stadium against Round Rock on Friday night. The Tigers pulled ahead in the high-scoring affair took over Friday night's District 13-6A matchup thanks to a stellar balanced attack.

The game didn’t provide a strong defensive showing, with the two Round Rock ISD teams combining for nine first-half touchdowns. It was the first time Round Rock had surpassed the 20-point mark this season, tallying 35 points in the first 24 minutes.

Round Rock junior running back Marquis Brown rushed the ball in from 35 yards on the game's first series, but Donovan Rybachek answered quickly for Stony Point with a rushing touchdown of his own just 1:07 later. Each team, by virtue of Round Rock's quarterback Ryan O'Keefe and Stony Point's Kendall Thomas, added a touchdown in the first frame.

The first two of Round Rock's three second-quarter scores came on successive possessions, with O'Keefe (31 carries, 214 yards, four touchdowns) and Brown (16 carries, 106 yards, three touchdowns) netting their second rushing touchdowns of the night less than four minutes into the second quarter. The Dragons' electric running game combined for 368 yards and seven touchdowns the game.

Stony Point was able to respond as Rybachek's two passing touchdowns - one to Daelan Loyden and another to Trae Edwards - tied the game at 28. O'Keefe gave the Round Rock varsity team the lead before the end of the half with his third touchdown rush.

O'Keefe's final touchdown of the game was the first of the second half, but the defensive back-turned-quarterback went down with an injury in the fourth quarter and would not be able to make the impact he did in the first 24 minutes. Stony Point's third quarter consisted of Rybachek's third touchdown pass and a Ross Hines field goal.

In the fourth, Round Rock at one point held a ten-point, 48-38 lead, but as O'Keefe went down, so did the morale of the squad. Stony Point scored twice in the final eight minutes, with Treshon Pickett and Tyler O'Bannon finding the endzone for the visitors. The 52-48 lead the O'Bannon touchdown gave the Tigers was the only lead they would hold in the entire game, but the only one they needed.

The nature of high-scoring football games in any level is basically this: whichever team runs out of gas first are the losers. The loss of Ryan O'Keefe debilitated the Dragons, but this is nothing for Round Rock to spit on. Round Rock will still have a shot at the playoffs if they play anything like they did on Thursday.

Round Rock, who dropped to 0-5, 0-1, face Pflugerville in two weeks at Dragon Stadium. Stony Point takes on Pflugerville as well, at the same location, on Oc. 6..